12+

Historical cities and settlements

Vologda Vologda

Vologda is founded in 1147. Vologda is among Russian cities with a special historical heritage. There are more than 200 monuments of architecture and history in Vologda. The most famous are: the Vologda Kremlin, the St.Sophia Cathedral, Spaso-Prilutskiy monastery. Monuments of wooden architecture are especially worth mentioning. Fr om 115 historical Russian cities only 16 have monuments of wooden architecture. Among them 3 cities are of special value including Vologda city.
Belozersk Belozersk

Belozersk is one of the ancient cities in Russia. First settlement was found here on the southern bank of the lake in the middle of the 7th century. In 1777 it received its present name – Belozersk. At that time there were 22 churches in the city. At the beginning of the 20th century the city building site was enriched by a number of wooden 2-storeyed buildings belonging to merchants. There were 17 stone churches, one wooden church, one stone and one wooden chapel at that time.
Veliki Ustyug Veliki Ustyug

Veliki Ustyug was founded in 1147. Veliki Ustyug is among Russian cities with valuable historical heritage. The historical appearance of the city forms a harmonic combination of ancient stone churches and urban manors. There are 150 monuments of cultural heritage. Cathedral Court – the main temple ensemble of Veliki Ustyug – includes Assumption Cathedral with a belfry of 1652-1663, cathedral of St.Procopius of 1668, cathedral of John Ustyuzhskiy of XVII-XIX centuries, Bishop House of XVIII century, a number of churches and household structures.
Verkhovazh’ye Verkhovazh’ye

Verkhovazh’ye belongs to the ancient settlements of Vologda Oblast. First information dated back to 1613. In 1861 there were 528 houses, a post-office, a town hall, a parish college, ten plants and 2 churches: Annunciation church built on means of the local people and Assumption church with a belfry. The city suffered great losses after the fire of 1879. During two days more than half of the buildings were burned. Verkhovazh’ye settlement is included in the List of historical cities of Russia.
Vytegra
Vytegra

The Vytegra lands were settled in old times by Finno-Ugric tribes. The Finno-Ugric names of rivers, lakes and settlements are preserved till nowadays. The first settlement under the name «Vyangi» on the location of the present city was first mentioned in 1710. With every year the popularity of the tourist route along the Volga-Baltic waterway is increasing along with the popularity of the Vytegra city – one of the ancient northern cities of Russia. Vytegra is among Russian cities with valuable historical heritage.
Gryazovets
Gryazovets

Gryazovets was first mentioned in 1538. City was located on the favorable trade route that was called «Moscow road» connecting center of Russia with the north that promoted its development. By the end of the XIX century the municipality became the largest producer of butter in the region. At the end of the XIX – beginning of the XX century Gryazovets became a large center of lace-making. Gryazovets is one of several small cities that preserved its historical center built by stone manors.
Kadnikov
Kadnikov

Kadnikov is situated on the Sodema River, a tributary of the Sukhona River. The exact date of foundation is not known. Kadnikov is one of several small cities of Russia that preserved its historical center built by stone manors. There are 18 objects of cultural heritage in the city; Epiphany Church is of special importance.
Kirillov
Kirillov

In 1397 Moscow monk Kirill founded the Kirillo-Belozerskiy monastery by the Siverskoye Lake.The fortification walls erected in XVI-XVII centuries surrounded the area of 12 hectares where 11 big and small churches were built. Till nowadays a monastery library with about 14 thousand volumes of books and an iconostasis of the Assumption cathedral – an outstanding monument of Russian ancient icon painting done after the cathedral had been built – is still preserved.
Nikolsk
Nikolsk

In ancient times the territory of Nikolsk municipality was settled by Finno-Ugric tribes. The foundation of many settlements of this area dated back to the XI-ХIII centuries. In 1780 Nikolsk village got the status of the district city of Vologda area.
Among the main places of interest of the city are the Church of Meeting of the Lord, church of Kazan, buildings of the former religious school and town hall. Wooden houses with an attic storey and carved balcony, private manors with broad inner porches and covered yards are of special interest.
Totma
Totma

The first information about Totma dated back to 1137. Totma is called as a city of navigators. More than 20 expeditions were equipped to the Pacific Ocean by Totma merchants who exported 1/5th of all the fur skins got during half a century to Europe. During the expeditions many geographical openings were made, some islands were charted. The name of the Totma navigator Ivan Kuskov who reached the banks of America in 1789 is connected with activity of Russian-American company. Under his guide a famous Russian settlement Fort-Ross was founded close to San-Francisco.
Ustye
Ustye

The first information dated back to the XV century. At the end of XIX-beginning XX century lace-making and manufacture of horn articles were developed actively. Besides, Ustye was a center of pilgrimage. The orthodox pilgrims went from here by ships to the Kamenny Island – to visit Spaso-Kamenny monastery. Ustye, located away from railway and big highways, mostly preserved its historical appearance. There are 12 objects of cultural heritage in the settlement and in the municipality.
Ustyuzhna
Ustyuzhna

Gorodische – an earth mound built by the Slavs-pagans in XI-XII centuries on the bank of the Mologa River – is considered to be the historical center of the city. It was first mentioned in the chronicles of 1252. The name of the city is connected with the location of the area rich in iron ore that was mined by the local people.
At the end of XVII century 2 grand temples were built that still remain: the Church of Nativity (1685-1690) and Church of Kazan (1664).
Ferapontovo
Ferapontovo

Ferapontovo is a small settlement in Kirillov municipality. This place is well known over Vologda Oblast and Russia thanks to Ferapontov monastery of Birth of Virgin with preserved frescoes by the work of the famous icon-painter Dionysius.
The monastery was founded in 1398 by monk Ferapont from Moscow Simonov’s monastery. In 2000 the ensemble of Ferapontov monastery with Dionysius frescoes was included in the UNESCO List of World Heritage.
Sinozerskaya pustyn’, Chagoda municipality
Chagoda municipality

The territory of the present Chagoda municipality was settled during the Mesolithic times – 8-5 thousand years BC. The settlements of Mesolithic epoch are of interest as the monuments of the first reclamation of the Russian North. Thanks to local quartz, limestone and chalk deposits and favorable water routes since XX century glass-making industry became the basis of local economy. On the territory of the municipality Sinozerskaya pustyn’ was founded by St. Efrosin Sinozerskiy who died in the Time of Trouble from Polish-Lithuanian invaders.
Cherepovets
Cherepovets

The first information about this land dated back to 1362. At those times Cherepovets Voskresenskiy monastery was founded by Saints Afanasiy and Feodosiy, disciples of Saint Sergiy Radonejskiy. The city was growing slowly: in 1810 there were 901 people. The development of the city accelerated in the second half of the XIX century. Ivan Milyutin – a merchant, ship owner, manufacturer and a former mayor of the city for half a century – made a lot for the city. Cherepovets is among historical cities of Russia. There are 4 objects of national cultural heritage. The Galskoys’ manor is the only monument of architecture.
Поделиться
Плюсануть
Класснуть