12+

Chagoda municipality

Церковь Евфросина Синозерского / Church Efrosin Sinozerskiy.  Photo: vk.com/club31219 Синозерская пустынь / Sinozerskaya pustyn’. Photo: vk.com/club61088973 Чагодощенский музей истории и народной культуры / Museum
  • Церковь Евфросина Синозерского / Church Efrosin Sinozerskiy.  Photo: vk.com/club31219
  • Синозерская пустынь / Sinozerskaya pustyn’. Photo: vk.com/club61088973
  • Чагодощенский музей истории и народной культуры / Museum

Chagoda municipality is a part of Vologda Oblast. Administrative center – Chagoda settlement – is situated 326 km off Vologda.

Chagoda municipality is the most compact by area in Vologda Oblast, but it takes the first place by the number of archeological monuments. More than 100 ancient settlements and burial grounds of different historical epochs are known here.

According to the opinion of experts the name «Chagoda» fr om Finno-Ugric language is translated as «a full river» or «a river with sandy banks».

The territory of the present Chagoda municipality was settled during the Mesolithic times – 8-5 thousand years BC. The settlements of Mesolithic epoch are of interest as the monuments of the first reclamation of the Russian North. In the middle of the I thous. BC the inhabitants of the land – Finno-Ugric tribes – mastered ore smelting using ore mined in marshes and meadows. In IV-IХ centuries AD the Slavs came to those lands.

The territory, wh ere Chagoda municipality is situated, was a part of Novgorod princedom and then – Moscow state. In 1685 Ustyuzhno-Zheleznopolskiy district was founded that till 1918 was a part of Novgorod province, and during 1918-1927 – a part of Cherepovets province.

Agriculture didn’t bring too much profit to the population as the most part of the territory was covered by swamps.

The Tikhvin waterway, a part of Mariinskaya waterway, that connected the Volga River with the Baltic Sea was the main source of profit.

Thanks to local quartz, limestone and chalk deposits and favorable water routes since XX century glass-making industry became the basis of local economy. At the beginning of the XX century there were three glass-making plants.

In 1937 Chagoda municipality became a part of Vologda Oblast.

On the territory of the municipality Sinozerskaya pustyn’ was founded by St. Efrosin Sinozerskiy who died in the Time of Trouble from Polish-Lithuanian invaders.

Поделиться
Плюсануть
Класснуть