Cherepovets – an administrative center of Cherepovets municipality of Vologda Oblast – is situated on the bank of the Sheksna River, a left tributary of the Volga River, 124 km off Vologda. Population– 316 758 people.
The land was settled first by Finno-Ugric people, then – by the Slavs. The population developed hunting, fishing, fur-skins trade. By XIII century the population cultivated agriculture.
The first information about this land dated back to 1362. At those times Cherepovets Voskresenskiy monastery was founded by Saints Afanasiy and Feodosiy, disciples of Saint Sergiy Radonejskiy.
Voskresenskiy monastery played a role of the religious and economic centre of the area. In due course a big trading settlement Fedosyevo (that became the place for the future city) and a number of small villages were founded by the monastery. Several churches were built. The monastery possessed fishing factories and supplied Moscow with fish.
Voskresenskiy monastery was ruined many times during Polish-Lithuanian invasion. In 1764 it was abolished.
The city was growing slowly: in 1810 there were 901 people. The only industrial company was a brick plant with 7 workers.
The importance of Cherepovets raised after Marrinskaya waterway was built in 1810. Navigation, repair and construction of ships became the main business. Trade was also developed. By the middle of XIX century the number of population increased to 3 300 people.
The development of the city accelerated in the second half of the XIX century. Ivan Milyutin – a merchant, ship owner, manufacturer and a former mayor of the city for half a century – made a lot for the city. He drafted the projects for development of the city economy and reconstruction of the Mariinskaya waterway. Together with other manufacturers he insisted on building Petersburg-Vologda railway through Cherepovets that led to the growth of turnover and promoted economic development of the city.
By the beginning of the XX century besides industrial companies there were many educational institutions in the city. At those times Cherepovets was called as «Northern Athens» or «Russian Oxford».
Since 1937 the city and the municipality became a part of Vologda Oblast.
Today iron ore industry and chemistry are the basis of Cherepovets economic potential. Wood- and metalworking, food, light and building industries are developed.
Cherepovets is among historical cities of Russia. There are 4 objects of national cultural heritage. The Galskoys’ manor is the only monument of architecture.