Gryazovets is an administrative center of Gryazovets municipality. The city is situated 47 km to the south of Vologda. Population – 15 081 people. It was first mentioned in 1538.
Gryazovets was located on the favorable trade route that was called «Moscow road» connecting center of Russia with the north that promoted its development. After opening of trade between Russia and the West, Gryazovets started developing very actively.
Under Peter the Great the foreign trade of Russia through Arkhangelsk was reduced. Petersburg seaport obtained greater importance. This fact influenced the economy of the area negatively. The growth of Gryazovets stopped.
Gryazovets became the city and the center of Gryazovets municipality of Vologda province in 1780. At that time there were 970 inhabitants that mainly developed agriculture. There was no industry, only some small trade workshops on dyeing, tailor’s, shoe-making and blacksmith’s. Since XVIII century linen production was developed. The skill of linen dyeing is reflected in the city coat of arms. The appearance of the city was defined by 3 trading fairs that were held annually in the city.
A railway that passed through the city in 1872 stimulated the economic development of the city and the municipality. A possibility of a broader marketing of butter-making industry led to the fact that by the end of the XIX century the municipality became the largest producer of butter in the region.
At the end of the XIX – beginning of the XX century Gryazovets became a large center of lace-making. Among other crafts the most popular was production of wood tableware, pottery, willow and birch-bark plaiting, balcksmith’s and flour-grinding business.
In XX century Gryazovets is the main trade center in the municipality. Gryazovets is one of several small cities that preserved its historical center built by stone manors.