Nikolsk is an administrative center of Nikolsk municipality of Vologda Oblast. It is situated on the right bank of the Yug River, 442 km to the east off Vologda. Population – 8 063 people.
In ancient times the territory of Nikolsk municipality was settled by Finno-Ugric tribes. The foundation of many settlements of this area dated back to the XI-ХIII centuries. The favorable geographic position of Nikolsk land led to the discord between Novgorod and Moscow princes in XIV-XV centuries struggling for the control over the Yug River – an important trade route.
The Nikolsk churchyard was founded in XV century by the inhabitants of the central parts of Russia as a dock. Since 1623 trade was actively developed in Nikolsk village. At the end of XVI century, with the start of foreign trade through the Arkhangelsk port, about 35 – 50 wooden barges were built here annually from the local pinewood.
In 1780 Nikolsk village got the status of the district city of Vologda area. Since 1796 Nikolsk is a district city of Vologda province.
Since 1886 the construction of the Church of Nativity of the Virgin of Kazan started, built on means of merchants and parishioners. The construction was completed by 1905.
The Nikolsk inhabitants developed agriculture, crafts, worked at the dock. The city was famous for its trade. Bread, grain, timber, flax, tar, resin and other goods were exported.
In XIX – beginning XX centuries Nikolsk district was a place of exile.
In 1937 Nikolsk became a district center of Vologda Oblast.
Among the main places of interest of the city are the Church of Meeting of the Lord, church of Kazan, buildings of the former religious school and town hall. Wooden houses with an attic storey and carved balcony, private manors with broad inner porches and covered yards are of special interest. Historical memorial museum of the poet Yashin is located here.
Nikolsk is among Russian cities with valuable historical heritage.