Ust-Kubenskoye is a settlement, a center of Ust-Kubenskiy municipality. It is situated in the central part of Vologda Oblast, 72 km off the regional center on the Kubena River.
The first information dated back to the XV century.
Ustye settlement flourished due to its favorable geographic position: in the west it bordered on the Kubena Lake, in the east it controlled the river trade routes along the Kubena River. After Marriinskiy and the Northern Dvina canals had been erected in the XIX century thanks to which Ustye was connected with Saint-Petersburg by water, the settlement experienced a new economic rise. During that time new stone churches, trade yards and merchant’s manors were built many of which still remain.
In 1870-s in the mouth of the Kubena River sawmills and a glass-making plant were built.
At the end of XIX-beginning XX century lace-making and manufacture of horn articles were developed actively. Besides, Ustye was a center of pilgrimage. The orthodox pilgrims went from here by ships to the Kamenny Island – to visit Spaso-Kamenny monastery.
Ustye, located away from railway and big highways, mostly preserved its historical appearance. There are 12 objects of cultural heritage in the settlement and in the municipality; one is of special value – Spaso-Kamenny monastery of XVI-XIX centuries.