Treasures of the Vologda land

Kirillo-Belozersky monastery Kirillo-Belozersky monastery

The Kirillo-Belozersky monastery which is located in Kirillov on the bank of Siverskoye lake, was founded at the end of XIV century. Its founder – Saint Cyril was a descendant of a noble Moscow Velyaminov family. He underwent a long way fr om a monk up to archimandrite in the Moscow Simonov monastery, however he refused the high rank and at the age of 60 he came to the White Lake region wh ere he founded a monastery.
Dionysius frescoes Ferapontov monastery

The museum of Dionysius’s frescos is placed in an architectural ensemble of the monuments in the Ferapontov monastery of the XV-XIX centuries in the village of Ferapontovo. The Ferapontov monastery was founded in 1398 by Saint Ferapont. For about 400 years it was one of the most outstanding cultural, religious and educational centers in the Belozersk region. In 2000 the ensemble of the Ferapontov monastery and Dionysius’s frescoes were included into the World Heritage List by the UNESCO.
St. Sofia Cathedral and Ensemble of the Vologda Kremlin St. Sofia Cathedral and Ensemble of the Vologda Kremlin

The Vologda Kremlin complex had been built for several centuries, its constructions of different periods are not similar in their form. The Vologda Kremlin complex traditionally includes the former Archbishop’s yard with its high fortifications, inseparably linked with the walls of the Resurrection cathedral and the Sofia belltower. The monumental St. Sofia cathedral which stands on a high bank of the Vologda river is the first stone temple of the city. It is outside the Kremlin walls, but its severe, majestic beauty most of all draws the attention of the Kremlin visitors.
Spaso-Prilutsky monastery Spaso-Prilutsky monastery

The Spaso-Prilutsky monastery – one of the largest monasteries of the North, is a magnificent architectural ensemble of Ancient Russia. It is to the northeast of Vologda, on the way to the White Lake, on the left bank of the Vologda River. The monastery received its name due to the main Church of our Savior and a river bend on which it is located. The Spaso-Prilutsky monastery was founded at the end of XIV century by Saint Dmitry Prilutsky, who was a known figure of the Russian church of the second half of XIV century, a pupil and associate of Saint Sergius Radonezhsky.
Veliky Ustyug Cathedral court in Veliky Ustyug

Cathedral court is a spiritual center of Veliky Ustyug. The unique complex comprises the cathedral of the Dormition of the Virgin (XVII – XVIII centuries), the St. Procopius’s Cathedral of (XVII – XIX centuries), the St. John’s Cathedral (XVII – early XX century), the church of Epiphany (of Vlasy Sevastiisky, XVII century), the Church of Alexius, the metropolitan of Moscow (XVIII century), Archbishop's Court (XVII – XIX centuries).
Iconostasis of the Trinity – Gleden monastery Iconostasis of the Trinity-Gleden monastery

Trinity-Gleden monastery located in 4 km from the Ustiug, near the village of Morozovitsa. The main sight of the monastery is a magnificent carved gilded iconostasis of the Trinity cathedral, one of the most beautiful in Ustyug. It was constructed for eight years (from 1776 to 1784) due to the donations of the residents. The rare beauty of the iconostasis, revived in the 1970s by Moscow restorers, inspires admiration in everyone who comes to the Trinity-Gleden monastery.
Opoki Opoki

Opoki, a well-known geological break, a village with the same name and rapids, is the most wonderful place on the river Sukhona. They’re usually called a miracle, a pearl of the Sukhona River: 60metre high coast, the longest on the Sukhona rapids – 1, 5 kms, Saint Mountain and Saint Stream, cutting this 60 metre high coast. The coast resembles a huge puff pie with fulvous-brown, dark-grey and white strips of marl and till, malm, siltstones, limestones, which are more than 200 million years old! In 1943-1947 in Opoki there was GULAG zone (strict-security camp) called «Opokstroi».
Earth Wall of Belozersk Earth Wall of Belozersk

The Earth Wall (vallum) of Belozersk was made here in 1487 («rublena syp’»). It was 550 sazhens long and up to 30 m high. The Earth Wall has witnessed the history through five centuries, and today it strikes our imagination and evokes pride and respect for people who have created it. We are struck by our ancestors’ mastery, keenness of wit and hard labour which they put into the construction of the wall. It belongs to the number of the best survived monument in the country.
Spaso-Sumorin monastery in Totma Spaso-Sumorin monastery in Totma

Spaso-Sumorin monastery is a former orthodox monastery in Totma city. The monastery was founded in 1554. Spaso-Sumorin monastery got its name due to the main St. Transfiguration church and the name of his founder – St. Feodosiy Sumorin being canonized under the name Feodosiy of Totma. The most grandiose building of the monastery is the Ascension church. After the revolution of 1917 the monastery was closed. Nowadays the monastery is restored.
Spaso-Kamenny monastery
Spaso-Kamenny monastery

Spaso-Kamenny is the first stone monastery in the Russian North. It is located in the center of Lake Kubenskoye on a small island 120 by 70 meters in size. To protect the coast of the island from gradual destruction, monks strengthened it with wild stone, wooden frame and piles. The island consists of rubbly stone that’s why since olden days it is referred to as «stone» and the monastery is named Spaso-Kamenny or Saviour on Stone in honour of the main temple of Transfiguration of Our Savior.
Pavlo-Obnorsky monastery Pavlo-Obnorsky monastery

Pavlo-Obnorsky monastery of Saint Trinity situated in Yunosheskoye settlement of Gryazovets municipality was founded by St.Pavel Obnorsky in 1414. With Sergiy Radonejskiy blessing and by consent of Metropolitan Photiy, Pavel built St.Trinity church around which Pavlo-Obnorsky monastery was founded later. The first stone monastery was built in 1505-1516. After 100 years since foundation the monastery was defeated and ravaged – in 1538 the Kazan Tatars ravaged the monastery, burned it out and left. In 1605-1610 the Trinity church was profoundly rebuilt. The cloister was closed in 1924, was returned to the faithful in 1994.
The Galskoys Manor The Galskoys Manor

In July, 2009 the Cherepovets museum «The Galskoys Manor» celebrated its rebirth. After long and formidable restoration the mansion is opened for visitors. Today it represents a bright celestial-blue structure which perfectly entered the coastal landscape of the Sheksna and gets attention of passing by steam-ships passengers.
The Bryanchaninovs Manor The Bryanchaninovs Manor

In 2009 in the Vologda Oblast there was finished restoration of the unique monument of history and culture of the Federal value – the Bryanchaninovs manor in the village Pokrovskoe of the Gryazovetsky District. The village Pokrovskoe has become one of the most popular tourist places. Orthodox pilgrims from all Russia visit it.
The manor Hvalevskoe The manor Hvalevskoe

The manor, situated near the Suda river, was built in the middle of 19th Century. Hvalevskoe belonged to the generation of the Russian naval mariners Kachalovs. In 2009 the direct descendants of the Kachalovs and the Dolgovo-Saburovs got the house and surrounding grounds. The granggrand-granddaughter’s family (the Voitsekhovsky-Kachalovs) sponsored the rebuilding of the Hvalevskoe manor and the nearby Church of the Intercession on the river Nizhnaia Chuzhboika. It began in 2009 with support and participation of the natives.
Danilovskoe The Memorial house of the Batyushkovs and A.I. Kuprin in the vilage of Danilovskoe

The Memorial house of the Batyushkovs and A.Kuprin is situated in the village of Danilovskoe of the Ustyuzhna district. It is the ex-manor, which belonged to the Vologda noblemen Batyushkovs and which the famous Russian writer A. Kuprin often visited. In 18th – the beginning of 19th Centuries Lev Andreevich Batyushkov built the house, which has survived unchanged to the present day. In 1813 the linden park was built near the house.
Museum of Architecture and Ethnography of Vologda Oblast Architectural and ethnographic museum of Vologda oblast

Architectural and ethnographic museum of Vologda oblast is located in a picturesque place on the bank of the river Vologda, 12 kms from the city. The main idea of the organizers of these expositions in the Vologda Oblast Museum of Architecture and Ethnography was to reconstruct the original look of a northern village at the end of the XIX – early XX century with all its life.
Russian village Sizma

According to «Vologda Encyclopedia» the old Russian village Sizma was founded in 1460. It seems that the cultural life in Sizma turns around the Center of traditional national culture with its special creative atmosphere. Guests are received heartily with bread-and-salt welcome and are certainly taken to the church. Excursions, interactive programs, traditional Russian meals and meetings with interesting people are offered to tourists. And there are a lot of guests arriving to this village.
Ded Moroz Palace Cultural and educational center «House of Ded Moroz»

Ded Moroz palace was opened in 1999 in the frames of project «Veliki Ustyug – Ded Moroz Homeland» with the purpose to support and strengthen the family traditions. During its development the project became known not only in Russia but in CIS and foreign countries. Russian Ded Moroz became a real symbol of kindness, wisdom and healthy way of life.
Veps Veps

Shimozero, Pyazhozero, Kuya, Voilakhta is the region of virgin woods and blue lakes – the Veps territory. The world of legends, the world behind the looking-glass. To feel the original spirit of these places and to get acquainted to the Vepsian culture one should go to the north of the Babaevsky District in the Vologda Oblast.