The manor Hvalevskoe in the village of Borisovo-Sudskoe of the Babaevo district
The manor, situated near the Suda river, was built in the middle of 19th Century. Hvalevskoe belonged to the generation of the Russian naval mariners Kachalovs. Nikolai Nikolaevich Kachalov – the famous Soviet scientist, the USSR Associate Member, one of the creators of Soviet optical glass, – spent his childhood in this house and park.
In the early years after the Revolution of 1917 there were the local Soviet government authorities in the house. The first secondary school in that area was opened here in 1919. At the time of the Second World War there was the front-line military hospital, and then the school again in this house. After the school had moved to the new building in 1977 this house was used less often. In the 1990s due to the downsizing of pupils the house was no longer in operation and it fell into decay.
In 2009 the direct descendants of the Kachalovs and the Dolgovo-Saburovs got the house and surrounding grounds. The granggrand-granddaughter’s family (the Voitsekhovsky-Kachalovs) sponsored the rebuilding of the Hvalevskoe manor and the nearby Church of the Intercession on the river Nizhnaia Chuzhboika. It began in 2009 with support and participation of the natives. The Church was consecrated again on Pokrov (Protection) day in October 2010.
The manor is the unique monument of the Russian north manor. Here is the historical space planning and also most of the old doors on the first floor, partially preserved the floors on the second floor, the plasterwork, window sills, the parts of the historical windows and ovens. Some piece of furniture were bought again. There is the arched cellar in the manor. All historical elements of the manor are carefully kept and reconstructed. In the course of the restoration works the roof and the windows were changed, the later partition-walls and additions were tore down, the cracks on the walls were plastered, the foundation was stabled, the walls were painted, the heating and all lifelines were led to, the access and exterior stairs were made, the doors and enfilades were renovated, the floors were changed, the ovens were reconstructed, etc.
Some rooms on the first floor are planned to be used as Sunday-school, museum and school of art. The stateroom will be used for holding a chamber concert. There are also the kitchen, the dinning-room and other rooms on the first floor. There are the master and guest bedrooms, the Peasant life Museum, that will be situated in the lower garret.
The formal manor opening took place on June, 2014. It was the 160th anniversary – 160 years passed after the foundation stone laying. It will take years to decorate the manor interiors and to form the park and garden territory.
The old manor park with an area of 30 hectares is situated on the river Suda and its confluent Chuzhboika. The park was being formed during the latter half of the 19th Century. The Kachalovs planted the valuable wood species in the park. The naturally-occurring softwood forms the basis of the park. Many pines and firs are more than 150 years old and 25 meters high. There are maples and oaks, broad-leaved species, which rarely occur on the Russian North, and many other species: larix, linden, birch, wild ash, juniper, briar, honeysuckle, etc.